[GRASS5] pg driver and GEOM column

Flavio Macedo flias at ecosconsult.com.br
Wed Nov 3 09:17:24 EST 2004

Hi All,

I have 2 problems:
Problem 1:
	 I am trying to edit an old GRASS_format file with the new v.digit. I have
imported from the old to the new one without a problem. However when I try to
edit the vector file (create new line - dividing a polygon into two pieces) a
popup window ("Form") appears. So I selected the data enconding and clicked
on the submit button. I got the following error message:

"Cannot update table:
DBMI-DBF driver error:
SQL parser error in statement:
update geolotes set  where cat = 88907
Error in db_execute_immediate() "

ps: I have connected to my database as such:
	% db.connect driver=pg database="host=localhost, dbname=riodosul,
user=postgres"

Problem 2:
	I have also ran the following command to connect GRASS5.7 to my table
		%db.tables -p
	        %db.describe -c geolotes
when I ran the second command I got the following error
        WARNING: pg driver: column 'geom', type 103442 is not supported

So, after some diggin I found out a message thread which says that only the
following types are supported(Postgres):
	int2, smallint, int4, int, integer, int8, bigint, serial, oid float4, real,
        float8,  double precision, numeric, decimal character, char, character
	varying, varchar,  text, bool, boolean date, time, timestamp

if that is the case: 1) is there a way around to fix my problem 2?
			    2) Is my problem 1 related to problem 2? if not, how can I fix it?