[GRASS5] nviz problems

Helena hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Nov 4 20:57:01 EST 2004

Hamish

I already discussed this issue with Markus but I did not follow up
on the list (as I am trying not to create too many distractions from 5.4 release).
Yes, nviz ALWAYS needs WIND3, even if you work just with 2D data.
It is needed to initialize the interface. It will be rather messy to have
it start differently for 2D and 3D data.

This is my suggestion (as there are and will be more modules that will require
3D region)

 >Modify grass57 startup to check and ask for 3D region info.
 > What I have in mind is that when you start grass57, it will check for
 >WIND3 and if it is not there it will say e.g.:
 >This GRASS release is a 3D GIS and requires 3D region definition, do you
 >want to have it automatically created (you can later modify it using g3.region) ? y/n
 > then the default WIND3 will just take the current region information
 >and define WIND3 with 1 vertical layer.
 >If it is done like this we don't have to worry about which module requires
 >it and we don't need to implement this question into each such module

Markus, would you have time to implement this modified start-up?
After Paul is done with the release, I suggest that we also revisit the vertical
datum issue and creation of a new location under 5.7 as a 3D location with 3D window and
a coordinate system definition that includes both horizontal and vertical datums.

Helena