[GRASS5] Problem converting NAD27 to NAD83.

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 14:05:23 EDT 2005

Hello Craig

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Craig Funk wrote:

> Hello, I am having problems with v.proj (and r.proj) when projecting vectors
> from a NAD27 database to NAD83 use GRASS 6.0
>
> This is the output from the v.proj command:
>
> Input Projection Parameters: +proj=utm +zone=10 +a=6378206.4 +rf=294.9786982
> +no_defs +nadgrids=ntv1_can.dat
> Input Unit Factor: 1
>
> Output Projection Parameters: +proj=utm +zone=10 +a=6378137 +rf=298.257222101
> +no_defs +towgs84=0.000,0.000,0.000
> Output Unit Factor: 1
> WARNING: The vector 'lines' already exists and will be
>         overwritten.
>
> Creating vector file...
> pj_transform() failed
> cause: failed to load NAD27-83 correction file
> Error in pj_do_transform

The most common cause for that error is that the points you are trying to
re-project fall outside the area covered by the datum shift grid file
(ntv1_can.dat). Are you sure it is the correct file for your area
(Canada).

If you are having trouble with the grid shift files you could try doing a
less precise datum transformation using a 3 or 7-parameter transformation.
Re-run g.setproj in the NAD27 location to set up your datum parameters.

Paul