[GRASS5] problem building debian package from GRASS CVS source

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Aug 8 03:45:46 EDT 2005

On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 09:22:12PM +0200, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to build debian package out of the GRASS CVS source by entering
>
> fakeroot buildpackage in the grass6 directory. I get the following error:
>
> [...]
> sed
> 's#'/home/mlennert/CVS/GRASS/grass6/dist.i386-pc-linux-gnu'#'/home/mlennert/CVS/GRASS/grass6/debian/tmp/usr/grass-6.1.cvs'#g'
> /home/mlennert/CVS/GRASS/grass6/dist.i386-pc-linux-gnu/etc/monitorcap >
> /home/mlennert/CVS/GRASS/grass6/debian/tmp/usr/grass-6.1.cvs/etc/monitorcap
> chmod -R a+rX /home/mlennert/CVS/GRASS/grass6/debian/tmp/usr/grass-6.1.cvs
> 2>/dev/null
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mlennert/CVS/GRASS/grass6'
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mlennert/CVS/GRASS/grass6'
> dh_testdir
> dh_testroot
> dh_installchangelogs CHANGES
> dh_installdocs
> dh_installexamples
> dh_install
> cp: ne peut évaluer `./usr/bin/grass61': Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
> dh_install: command returned error code 256
> make: *** [binary-arch] Erreur 1
>
> i.e.
> cp: cannot evaluate `./usr/bin/grass61': No file or directory of this type.
>
> 1) Am I doing something wrong ?
> 2) Have the deb package config files from the DebianGIS effort flown back into
> the GRASS CVS ? If not, is there a reason why they can't/shouldn't ?

I have updated GRASS 6.1-CVS a couple of days ago and apparently
overseen a patch problem in debian/rules (thanks for finding, Steve!).
Fixed in 6.1-CVS.

If you are generally interested to understand what happened in
a CVS directory, get

 cvs2cl.pl
 (e.g., from http://www.red-bean.com/cvs2cl/

and launch it in the directory of interest. This will generate the
(local) ChangeLog file which probably answers the question if
DebianGIS effort have flown back into the GRASS CVS:

        * rules: fixed patch mess

        * NEWS, changelog, compat, copyright, docs, fixpaths.sh,
          fixscripts.sh, grass-doc.install, grass-doc.links, grass.install,
          grass.links, grass61.1, libgrass-dev.install, libgrass.dirs,
          libgrass.install, libgrass.lintian-overrides, libgrass.postinst,
          libgrass.postrm, rules: updated from 6.0.0-1/Debian

        * patches/: 00list, epsg-codes-loc.dpatch, htmlgen-fakeroot.dpatch:
          added

        * control: updated from 6.0.0-1/Debian

Note that the debian/ subdirectory is not packaged into the source
code release packages.

> 3) What do I have to do to make deb-package out of the current CVS-tree ?
>
> Moritz

Please update from GRASS 6.1-CVS and try again (and report).

Thanks & sorry for the confusion.

 Markus