[GRASS5] Re: [GRASS translations] Making po - errors

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Aug 17 07:51:59 EDT 2005

(cc grass5)

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 07:29:00PM -0300, Paulo Marcondes wrote:
> HI all;
>
> when building the po files from CVS 20050813,
> lots of messages:
>
> "internationalized messages should not contain the `\r' escape sequence"
>
> loooots of them.
>
> otherwise, all is doing fine.
>
> had to comment out lines 22, 23 from top level Makefile an 4, 5, 29,
> 34 from include/Make/Module.make

I don't think that it is a good idea to comment anything in
the Makefiles. The "problem" originates from messages containing \r:

cd locale/templates/

grep '\\r' *
grasslibs.pot:msgid "\r%d primitives registered      \n"
grasslibs.pot:"\r%d areas built      \n"
grassmods.pot:msgid "\rReading file [%s] ..."

In detail:
#: ../lib/vector/Vlib/build_nat.c:507
#, c-format
msgid "\r%d primitives registered      \n"
msgstr ""

#: ../lib/vector/Vlib/build_nat.c:534
#, c-format
msgid ""
"\r%d areas built      \n"
"%d isles built\n"
msgstr ""

#: ../visualization/xganim/main.c:337
#, c-format
msgid "\rReading file [%s] ..."
msgstr ""

We have to discuss what to do with "\r..." in these messages.

> I just wanted to compile the po files, just to get the hang of it.

Yes, but it does. The
 make pot
issues a couple of above messages, but apparently it doesn't matter.
It says "should not" which sounds like a warning to me.

> Now, if I wanted to merge my own translations to my GRASS install,
> what I have to do?
> put my po-files in the po dir, and justa make mo?
> Do I have to recompile GRASS?

This is (hopefully understandable described in locale/README,
please have a look there and tell me/us how to improve the file.

Thanks

 Markus