[GRASS5] monitor resize

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Aug 23 17:56:06 EDT 2005

Huidae Cho wrote:

> I tried twm, WindowMaker, Fluxbox, evilwm, ion, wmi2, ...
>
> twm, evilwm, wmi2: resizing works
> WindowMaker, Fluxbox, ion: resizing doesn't work
>
> It depends on which WM I use.  Does this mean that some WMs ignore the
> USSize hint?  Or is the USSize hint supposed to not allow WM to resize the
> window?  If this is the latter case, I think XDRIVER should be fixed.

When a client connects, the WM_NORMAL_HINTS property is updated to
include minimum and maximum size settings (PMinSize, PMaxSize) equal
to the current window size, to prevent the window from being resized
while a client is using it. Once the client disconnects, the min/max
size settings are removed.

With some window managers, the min/max settings appear to "stick".
As a quick test:

1. Start the monitor with the "-s" switch, which prevents mon.select
from being run; at that point, the min/max size settings will never
have been applied.

2. Try resizing the monitor.

3. Run "d.mon select=...", which will connect to the monitor, causing
the min/max size settings to be applied and removed.

4. Try resizing the monitor again.