[GRASS5] [bug #3002] (grass) G_parser() for GUIs and HTML help: missing opt->key_desc text

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Tue Feb 15 02:09:25 EST 2005

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3002

Subject: G_parser() for GUIs and HTML help: missing opt->key_desc text

The auto-gen tcl/tk GUIs and the HTML/man pages are missing the opt->key_desc
text which makes filling in the blanks that much harder to do. Especially
because the menus and help pages are usually used by users who don't know the
options well and won't be using --help from the command line yet.

e.g.  d.frame:
frame.c:   parm.at->key_desc = "bottom,top,left,right";

G6.0b2> d.frame --help
d.frame [-cepslD] [frame=name] [at=bottom,top,left,right]

while the d.frame.html / man page:
d.frame [-cepslD] [frame=string] [at=float]

and the tcltk GUI:
G6.0b2> d.frame
[tcltk GUI]
..
Where to place the frame (implies -c), values in percent (float, optional) :
[________________________________]

the help pages and GUI are really very unhelpful in this situation.

This confused me for a few minutes when trying to use v.mkgrid from the GUI:

number of ROWS and COLUMNS in grid (integer, required)
[_____________________________]

I wanted 5x5 so I put "5", which gave this error

Error: option <grid> must be provided in multiples of 2
       You provided 1 items:
       5

I took that error to mean it wanted the single integer to be a multiple of 2,
 so I tried grid=6 with similar errors.. maybe I'm a bonehead but as a new
user I'd never have guessed the format should be "rows,columns" not "5x5" or
"5" ... it took a biologist to point out the solution to me, how embarrassing :).

It would be really nice to fix this one for 6.0.

Hamish