[GRASS5] Re: Python binding for Grass library

Sajith VK sajithvk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 00:48:37 EDT 2005

Hello all,
   I managed to make python bindings for few functions from grass api.
(Which were needed for my application). I used "swig" program for this.
The same was used on the existing (old) module too...
Now I can implement my program in python using grass api.

Using swing, writing python binding for the whole Grass API is not
too difficult, but involves some work. I am trying for this. For this,
I need advice on following

1. Which all functions need to be included in the bindings?
    Many functions like G_alloc()... may not be needed in python.

2. Should we make a single binding for the whole grass api
    or should it be broken to parts (Based on grass library)

One more fact: Swing directly supports all the scripting languages
like perl,php etc. Hence if we make binding for python, creating binding
for other languages will be very easy

Bye Bye