[GRASS5] New NVIZ fly navigation

Massimo Cuomo m.cuomo at acsys.it
Tue Mar 15 08:58:37 EST 2005

Hello everybody.

A new "immersive" navigation for NVIZ has been added by Markus to the
CVS repository.

This "fly" navigation allows to move the 3D point of view with mouse
buttons and movements. With the new basic 3D graphic cards that are now
usual even on laptops, it can be useful to fly not only over, but
"inside" the DTM 3D models at high resolution. The flythrough addition
to NVIZ allows to do so in 3 different ways that are explained directly
on the user interface. Furthermore, navigation can be quickly switched
between "coarse" and "fine".

For developers: a callback mechanism has been added that allows to
register external functions and calls them at the "appropriate" moments
in the drawing loop, after everything else has been drawn.

We at ACS (an Italian software company) are using GRASS/NVIZ for a
research project about the desertification named RIADE (www.riade.net)
and have developed several functions: the flythrough is the most general
purpose of them.

I have to thank my colleagues and especially the project manager that
trusted and allowed us to use free software for this project.

Massimo Cuomo