[GRASS5] Suggestions for gui discussion

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Wed Nov 16 02:58:41 EST 2005

On 11/16/2005 08:35 AM, Michael Barton wrote:
> Wolf,
>
> I agree that the old interactive xterm interface (including i.points,
>  d.zoom, and others) needs to be updated. These interactive, mouse
> intensive activities would probably benefit most by a new, better
> integrated GUI.

That is true. The good thing is that it still works.

> I'm a little puzzled by your wish for functionality, however.
> Currently, GRASS (i.points) does open a pair of side-by-side windows
> that zoom and pan synchronously, and permit you to click on the map
> to be georeferenced in one window and a corresponding georeferenced
> point in the other. Alternatively, you can enter the coordinates for
> a point to be georeferenced. It also allows you to check the accuracy
> of your georeferencing and manage the GCP's that you use to some
> degree.

I does? I only got one window where I could zoom and pan. And don't get
me wrong. I do think that the option of allowing one to enter
coordinates by hand is a very important feature that should not be
removed. I would for sure use it if I would for example have a set of
GPS coordinates and an aerial photo to rectify. This time I had a
scanned GT map to rectify to a raster map. It is possible that I simply
didn't use i.points correctly...

> Maybe because your (Cygwin?) system drags so much because of the
> mouse polling bug, you've never gotten that far in i.points?

The strange thing is that the system doesn't really drag, I'm running on
Debian Linux, but the CPU goes crazy and the fan too. (I really hate the
FAN).

--W