[GRASS5] r3.mapcalc doesn't work, isosurfaces

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Nov 23 14:39:45 EST 2005

In the digest of the grass5 list that I just received, there are discussion
about the new r3.in.rast and r3.to.rast tools, rebuilding xganim, and
v.extrude.

The potential for expanding GIS to 3D for more than just nicely rendered
displays is very exciting--and not just to me--and sets GRASS apart from
other spatial analysis platforms.

For example, if we can store time series as grid3d volumes, xganim could be
replaced by an NVIZ-like utility that allows you to interactively view
slices down through such a volume (or diagonally or vertically--why not?),
kind of like the cutting planes in NVIZ.

Given that GIS data are inherently multidimensional, this holds much
promise. For example, we could better implement dynamic geospatial landscape
models or agent-based models given these new tools for manipulating and
displaying 3D/4D data.

IMHO, this is another reason why it is important to look for ways of better
integrating 2D and 3D in a future GRASS UI.

Michael
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA