[GRASS5] GDAL requirement confusion

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Nov 24 13:09:46 EST 2005

I'm a little confused.  I was playing with building a trimmed-down
GRASS, and it seems to require GDAL.  The requirements.html for GRASS
6.0 says GDAL is optional, yet for 6.1CVS it's moved to a requirement.

Even tho it says it's optional for 6.0, when I try to configure --
without-gdal configure quits because it can't find GDAL (configure
bug?  like a misplaced if..fi block).

checking whether to use GDAL... no
checking for GDALOpen... no
checking for GDALOpen... no
configure: error: *** Unable to locate GDAL library.

And when I specify --without-gdal for 6.1, it accepts that and does
configure for no GDAL (but it's a requirement!).  Everything still
builds, and runs (except gdal/ogr modules of course), as expected.

If GDAL is just for importing/exporting extra data formats, why the
stated requirement in 6.1?  mistake?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy