[GRASS5] GIS Manager update for testing

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Sep 9 12:43:38 EDT 2005

Moritz,

Thanks very much for the quick look. I've fixed the bugs and resubmitted it
to my website. See below for details.

The updated file is

<http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/grass_gismgr/GIS_manager050909b.t
gz>

Michael
______________________________
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 480-965-6262; fax: 480-965-7671

> - - Don't know if I'm a big fan of the green ;-) Would be nice to
> leave choice to user... But in no ways a priority !

It would be nice if someone (maybe me sometime, but not now) could write an
interface to let users customize the GIS Manager a bit (color, font, etc).
It could work kind of like the little window for setting the mapset search
path.

> - - Little type on line 279 of thematic.tcl: 'wehre' instead of 'where'.

fixed

> - - The command line created by the vector panel does not take into
> account the line width setting.

fixed (I'd rem'ed it out because I don't have the new version of d.vect and
it crashed the dm. However, I've worked out how to make it functional and
not cause a problem on systems that don't have the new d.vect)

> - - I don't find the grass icon as a help button very clear. Maybe
> just a question mark, or a combination (fat question mark on top of
> grass icon) would be better. Also, by placing it next to the text
> field for map name input, it is not clear that this is the help
> button for the entire module.

Points well taken. Though people can quickly get used to a distinctive icon
such as grass button=help.

I'd originally planned a question mark, but that has a considerable history
for use as a query button from the first GRASS 5.1 display manager. Would it
be confusing to use it as a help button too? A semi transparent question
mark over the GRASS icon might work if someone artistically inclined can
make the gif for it.

I'd prefer to have the button always in the upper right corner of the panel,
but I don't know how to specify placement in that way in tcltk. If anyone
can help with this...

> - - placing a barscale with a mouse, clicking on the right mouse
> button to confirm the location, I get the following error and the
> rest of the group elements are not drawn:
>
> child process exited abnormally
> child process exited abnormally
>     while executing
> "exec -- d.barscale tcolor=0:0:0 bcolor=255:255:255 at=2,2 -m >@
> stdout 2>@ stderr"
>     ("eval" body line 1)
> [...]

This is a problem with d.barscale. Other modules with mouse placement
options don't seem to have this problem. My work around is to tell  you to
put it last (so the error doesn't matter) if you want to use a mouse. It is
a minor bug that needs to be fixed in the c-module I think (unless there is
someway to trap this and go on via tcltk).

An even better idea (for all mouse placement options) would be to somehow
capture the coordinates of the mouse click and automatically fill in the
coordinate field for each panel. How to do it???

> - - I would rename the File->Manage 2D and 3D maps to simply 'Manage
> maps'.

Done

> - - I don't find File->Workspace/group very clear. Maybe just
> File->Groups (or Map groups) would be clearer ?

Done. I like workspaces as I find them more descriptive, but groups is what
they are called in GRASS, so I'll just go with it.