[GRASS5] r.profile

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 16 10:10:54 EDT 2005

> The modified r.profile is now in CVS. This version now accepts
> coordinates directly from stdin (plus the original methods). At this
> time it expects coordinates as space or tab seperated easting and
> northing. Any labels after these are ignored.

can you provide a short example? (preferably added to the help page)

> I have also added an additional flag "-c" which will output the RGB
> color values for each profile point. This can then be used to plot a
> color coded cross section.
>
> Please give it a try and let me know if there are any problems.

Nice, I look forward to checking it out.

It took me a little while to grasp what the new RGB flag did, but
yeah, I like it. (grabs the raster's color value at that coordinate)

One thing -- it outputs "RRR GGG BBB". While I think most places in
GRASS will understand that format, I've been trying to standardize on
"RRR:GGG:BBB". Mostly because the r.colors rules looked like:

0 255 255 255
1 255 255 255
2 255 255 255
etc.

Which is ok, but when the color values are closer to the data values
it makes it really hard to read, eg

0 0:255:0

is a lot easier for my eye to follow & my brain to register vs

0 0 255 0

or were you thinking of feeding the color values into multiple columns
to pass to external software? (vs r.profile with -g flag -> v.in.ascii
-> GRASSRGB column that d.vect and ps.map might understand and take
advantage of)

Hamish