[GRASS5] 100% cpu mouse bug

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Sat Apr 22 09:36:44 EDT 2006

Hamish, All,

I personally don't notice any significant CPU over-use during d.*
commands involving mouse anymore, while it was a horrible and obvious
pain before. I have already mentioned this on the list but nobody
confirmed/denied. Please do.

Using 6.1 CVS 2006-04-05 I see d.zoom, d.what.rast and d.what.vect -x
don't lead to a noticable increase in CPU usage. It always stays below
few percent on a non-busy machine now. While they used to eat up to 100%
only few weeks ago. So the relevant change must be fairly fresh. These
are "details" I can provide. Who fixed that?

Yet, using d.what.vect in FORM mode, and v.digit, DOES still load the
CPU a lot. According to top the form takes 40-60 % of total CPU and
Xorg takes 20-40%. However, the good news is that even despite this
high CPU load, d.what.vect -e response time is fairly decent and
stable now. At last it is possible to edit attributes in d.what.vect -e
quite comfortebly, while it used to be a hard pain few weeks ago (one
had to wait a long time for cursor to responded to key strokes,
often the form completely freezed).

It would be great if form could be fixed to use less CPU, but I
want to let you know things are better than they used to be.

Maciek