[GRASS5] g|r.region

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Feb 7 20:57:15 EST 2006

Brad Douglas wrote:

> > > Ungeoreferenced vector maps are uncommon,
> >
> > Most CAD drawings are not georeferenced - so in this
> > "niche" it's very common (unfortunately).
>
> Unless there are no reference data/points (or in XY "projection"), I
> tend to manipulate my data with GDAL before importing into GRASS.  I'm
> not a heavy end-user, though.

The nature of vector data is such that there is always a coordinate
system (even if it isn't the right one), whereas rasters don't
normally have any coordinate system.

Similarly, changing the coordinate system of a vector map involves
modifying the actual vector data, whereas a raster's coordinate system
is stored separately.

> > > and there is already v.transform.
>
> Would it make sense to move this functionality to g.region to keep all
> region related work in a single module?

No. g.region serves a different purpose, namely to manipulate the
state of the "view", whereas r.region is for modifying the actual
data.