[GRASS5] Update from Chicago meeting

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Feb 8 07:43:03 EST 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:15:12PM +0100, Stephan Holl wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 19:05:25 +0100 Markus Neteler <neteler at itc.it>
> wrote:
>
> > Dear GRASS Community,
> Did you decide "by your own" that GRASS will to be part of the
> foundation? BTW, I fully support this idea, because GRASS is a mayor
> tool for "creating" data, which is needed to present them...

No, I did not *decide* anything. GRASS was proposed by someone
else in the room and they asked me if I would agree.
So did I, since I don't see legal implications. A OSGEO
Foundation without GIS doesn't make much sense to me.
But I said that I will post the suggestion to the community
(here, us) to get a consensus on this. It's a proposal.

It is anticipated that all projects have to survive the
"incubator" phase [1] (similar to what the Apache project is
doing). Maybe GRASS doesn't survive... (ok, just kiddin')?

A lot of things will have to be checked before any project
will be accepted by the foundation (intellectual property,
code maturity etc). This has yet to be defined.

> BTW, nice to read the logs, Schuyler did an amazing job on IRC.

Yes, Schuyler did a great job.

Markus

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#incubator