[GRASSLIST:10204] Re: [GRASS5] Update from Chicago meeting

Stephan Holl holl at gdf-hannover.de
Wed Feb 8 08:21:38 EST 2006

Hello Markus,

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 13:43:03 +0100 Markus Neteler <neteler at itc.it> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:15:12PM +0100, Stephan Holl wrote:
> > On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 19:05:25 +0100 Markus Neteler <neteler at itc.it>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Dear GRASS Community,
> > Did you decide "by your own" that GRASS will to be part of the
> > foundation? BTW, I fully support this idea, because GRASS is a mayor
> > tool for "creating" data, which is needed to present them...
>
> No, I did not *decide* anything. GRASS was proposed by someone
> else in the room and they asked me if I would agree.
> So did I, since I don't see legal implications. A OSGEO
> Foundation without GIS doesn't make much sense to me.
> But I said that I will post the suggestion to the community
> (here, us) to get a consensus on this. It's a proposal.

I am fine with this. I would like to see GRASS as a foundation-member,
since it is the only mature free GIS.

> It is anticipated that all projects have to survive the
> "incubator" phase [1] (similar to what the Apache project is
> doing). Maybe GRASS doesn't survive... (ok, just kiddin')?

:-)

> A lot of things will have to be checked before any project
> will be accepted by the foundation (intellectual property,
> code maturity etc). This has yet to be defined.

Yes. It seems that some amount of work will come up in the next weeks
to define this guidelines for acceptance.

> > BTW, nice to read the logs, Schuyler did an amazing job on IRC.
>
> Yes, Schuyler did a great job.
>
> Markus
>
> [1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#incubator

Stephan

--
GDF Hannover - Solutions for spatial data analysis and remote sensing
Hannover Office      -     Mengendamm 16d      -     D-30177 Hannover
Internet: www.gdf-hannover.de      -      Email: holl at gdf-hannover.de
Phone : ++49-(0)511.39088507       -        Fax: ++49-(0)511.39088508