[GRASSLIST:10204] Re: [GRASS5] Update from Chicago meeting

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Feb 8 08:52:31 EST 2006

On Feb 8, 2006, at 8:21 AM, Stephan Holl wrote:

> Hello Markus,
>
> On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 13:43:03 +0100 Markus Neteler <neteler at itc.it>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:15:12PM +0100, Stephan Holl wrote:

>>> Did you decide "by your own" that GRASS will to be part of the
>>> foundation? BTW, I fully support this idea, because GRASS is a mayor
>>> tool for "creating" data, which is needed to present them...
>>
>> No, I did not *decide* anything. GRASS was proposed by someone
>> else in the room and they asked me if I would agree.
>> So did I, since I don't see legal implications. A OSGEO
>> Foundation without GIS doesn't make much sense to me.
>> But I said that I will post the suggestion to the community
>> (here, us) to get a consensus on this. It's a proposal.
>
> I am fine with this. I would like to see GRASS as a foundation-member,
> since it is the only mature free GIS.

We have discussed the issue of the foundation here before Markus left
for the meeting and the idea was supported by everybody who bothered
to express his opinion, so I believe that Markus had a mandate to agree
for all
of us for GRASS to become a founding member (while Mapserver has to wait
for its procedures to go through so you don't see them in the list of
founding projects
although they initiated the idea, I assume thy will be there soon too).
The foundation is really important for many reasons, as one of the
meeting participants
mentioned, the individual projects are becoming more dependent on each
other
(GDAL is a good example of a project upon which many others depend)
so coordination and a formal organization is becoming ever more
important.

And of course we are all happy to see Markus elected to the OS GEO
board,

Helena

It is anticipated that all projects have to survive the