[GRASS5] New release candidate 3 of GIS Manager 2

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Feb 13 16:13:29 EST 2006

Michael Barton wrote:
> Added to the cvs. Sorry. This file got missed.

Now it works. Another great step forward ! Thanks Michael.

See a few comments below.

>>From: Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>
>>Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:21:56 +0100
>>To: Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>
>>Subject: Re: [GRASS5] New release candidate 3 of GIS Manager 2
>>
>>Michael,
>>
>>there seems to be a file missing:
>>
>>Error in startup script: couldn't open
>>"/usr/lib/grass/etc/gm/zoom_current.gif": no such file or directory
>>
>>Moritz
>>
>>Michael Barton wrote:
>>
>>>I just committed to the CVS and posted to my website
>>><http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/grass_gismgr> the (hopefully)
>>>final release candidate for the new GRASS GIS Manager. It has many
>>>updates. I think I¹ve fixed all reported bugs or anomalous behavior‹and
>>>a number of unreported ones. A few of the highlights.
>>>
>>>A fix for the Œblack canvas¹ that some people have been getting. In the
>>>future, I¹ll be implementing a different solution when I change the
>>>compositing procedures that create the map displays. But this should
>>>work for now.

It does.

>>>A new text layer of high-resolution postscript text to replace d.text
>>>and d.text.freetype. Along with this comes easier ways of selecting fonts.

- When trying to use the text tool, I get:

can't read "anchor": no such variable
     while executing
"$can($mon) create text $opt($id,xcoord) $opt($id,ycoord)  -anchor
$anchor  -justify $opt($id,justify)  -width $opt($id,width)  -fill
$opt($id,fill)  -..."

(I assume it is the "Add text layer" button.)

>>>A Œzoom to current region¹ button so that map displays can use regions
>>>set using g.region.

I still find this counter-intuitive. If I set the region using g.region,
I expect the next "normal" display command to follow this setting. I
don't find it obvious that I should use a different button to get the
expected result.

Maybe it is possible to add a region setting dialog directly in the
display window which would then reset the current region definition of
the this diplay ?

>>>A few added convenience features. The one I like the best was inspired
>>>by Peter Misovic¹s questions about displays and queries. You can now
>>>save the results of a display query‹in the vector display‹to a new
>>>vector file (using v.extract).

Cool !

Moritz