[GRASS5] zlib compression for CELL maps

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Jan 4 10:32:20 EST 2006

At least for SRTM rasters, it depends on whether there are negative
elevations (common around coastal areas).  I noticed this a while
back and wondered about it.  I don't remember the details, but it
came down to what order of integer is needed - 1, 2 or 4 bytes,
unsigned - to represent all the values in the region.  BUT, if there
were negative integers it always used a signed 8 byte integer (or
something large like that).  Compression came into it also I think,
again I don't remember details.

So SRTM tiles in coastal areas are often much bigger than you'd
expect, though with the new version 2 SRTM that shouldn't be as big a
problem since water areas have been filled with a flat 0 elevation,
or an appropriate elevation for lakes.

I don't know about the GRASS_INT_ZLIB variable (env? compile?), but I
was under the impression that I couldn't do anything about it.

On Jan 4, 2006, at 8:44 AM, Jaro Hofierka wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with a size of integer (CELL) maps. It is strange
> that the size of compressed integer maps is bigger than the same
> maps in floats. Recently, we tried to import srtm files and
> floating point maps took much less disk space then integers :-(
> I tried to use the GRASS_INT_ZLIB variable, but the compression
> flag in a header file is still set to 1 (should be 2?). Problably I
> missed something. I re-compiled GRASS using zlib.
> Many thanks for any hints!
>
> Jaro

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what
does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin