[GRASS5] grass6 and R

Kirk R. Wythers kwythers at umn.edu
Sat Jan 14 17:30:17 EST 2006

On Jan 14, 2006, at 3:00 PM, Roger Bivand wrote:

> Visiting the repository will show that all is well, but nobody I
> know has
> a machine with OSX on it. With the advent of x86 OSX this will get
> worse
> too.

In the short term yes. Hopefully though, over the long term it will
bring much of os x code closer to the x86 linux and bsd code. I have
made the big vs little edian mistake more than once on os x.

> On OSX you have to install from source, as on any other Unix/Linux
> system, only Windows people get the help of a binary. Because there
> is no
> C code in the package, I guess that most (?) OSX will have the minimal
> tool train needed. Guessing further, on Linux I have:
>
>> getOption("pkgType")
> [1] "source"
>
> but you most likely have "mac.binary"

yup

> Then try:
>
> install.packages("spgrass6", repos = rS, type="source")

worked great. Thanks Roger

> to override the default, and it should work. If you can confirm
> that it
> does, I can alter the note on the download page, and provide an
> erratum
> for the Newsletter page.

I think you are good to make the change. This worked fine on my
powerbook. Tues when I'm back in my office, I'll test in on my G5.
However, I see no reason why it would be any different. Additionally,
did a small edit on the config file to get the base R program to
build on os x. If you want I can send you that too.

Thanks again,

Kirk