[GRASS-dev] r.in.gdal to group automatically imported multi-bands image

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 10 03:00:08 EDT 2006

Yann Chemin wrote:

> When dealing with multi-band satellite data, it is generally easier to
> group them, and generally we import this data from, say a GeoTiff that
> is already a multi-band.
>
> Could we consider trying to make a group directly on import in
> r.in.gdal by the name of the image? Imagine people that deal with
> temporal/hyperspectral data, it could be beneficial.

I was under the impression that r.in.gdal DID do this already (GRASS 6.1
anyway). e.g. r.in.onearth (r.in.wms) creates the group.

> Following this idea, 2 things:
> 1-GIS.M to load groups directly (i am not familiar to know if this is
> already there)
> 2-Attach a default group display command to choose from greyscale or
> RGB
>
> I believe this could help some "image processing" people to use GRASS.

d.rgb group=groupname

could work if the was a consistant naming for bands, and the extension
could be predicted.

scan.r
scan.b
scan.c

but "r.in.onearth -l tmband=visual" creates:
satimage.1
satimage.2
satimage.3

for r,g,b?