[GRASS-dev] New raster-to-raster3d conversion module

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Sat Jul 15 20:36:14 EDT 2006

On Jul 15, 2006, at 7:56 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

>>> I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, if I did please ignore the
>>> duplicate.
>>>
>>> consider renaming the module "r.to.rast3.elev" (or similar) so like
>>> modules are grouped together both in the help pages and logically.
>>
>> given my previou notes about the 2 dots, it looks like r.to.rast3elev
>> would be a good choice,
>
> Is there any particuarl reason for imposing a "two dots" restriction?

just to avoid getting the names out of control - imagine the man page
http://grass.itc.it/grass61/manuals/html61_user/raster.html

with command names such as
r.slope.aspect.curv.polyn2nd.vers3

and they can easily lose any logic, such as
s.surf.rst.vol.time.cv (we actually had that kind of name for a
development version of s.volt.rst)

We can certainly have longer module names but I would suggest some rules
on how to keep them meaningful and logical.

Helena

P.S. I looked at the man pages and surprisingly there are almost no
offenders
to the two dots max rule in spite of the fact that this has never
been an official rule.
(v.db.reconnect.all and v.in.sites.all are the exception and they are
recent additions)