[GRASS-dev] New OpenGL options to test for native Mac and Win NVIZ

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Jul 17 16:08:14 EDT 2006

There are new build options to make a native X11-less NVIZ for Mac OS
X and Windows.  Mac OS X is the only one tested so far

It's been tested a little on a PPC Mac, both Tiger and Panther, and
NVIZ works so far.  I also tested on a MacBook, the Intel Mac with
the Intel GMA integrated graphics chip, and it crashes.  I don't have
a 'Pro' MacBook or Intel iMac with 'real' ATI graphics hardware to
test on.

The only option needed to set the OpenGL platform is --with-opengl.
By default it uses X11, or GLX-based, OpenGL, so it doesn't break old
habits.

--with-opengl=aqua, or agl, uses Mac OS X's AGL interface to OpenGL,
for a native Aqua NVIZ (and ogsf library).  OpenGL include and lib
options do not need to be specified for AGL, and will be ignored,
they're all fixed on Mac OS X.

--with-opengl=windows, or wgl, uses Windows' WGL interface to OpenGL.

X11 can still be used for the XDRIVER, alongside AGL.  NVIZ will not
interact with X11.  So, --with-x11 --with-opengl=aqua, will give you
both a Mac NVIZ and an X11 d.mon to work with.  And, gis.m (any Tcl
scripts) will also use the Aqua Tcl.

The Mac AGL build, for now, requires a separate Aqua framework build
of Tcl/Tk, and NOT Apple's Tcl/Tk framework on Tiger - it's missing
the required private headers.  The old Tcl/Tk Aqua packages should
work, but the Tcl/Tk build instructions are easy to follow for
building your own for an up-to-date Tcl/Tk framework, or I have a
Universal Tcl/Tk package on my site.  So you don't have to muck
around patching configure, you should add symlinks to the framework
binaries in /usr/local/lib (my package takes care of this):

sudo ln -s /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Tcl /usr/local/lib/
libtcl.dylib
sudo ln -s /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Tk /usr/local/lib/
libtk.dylib

Then you would use this in configure:

--with-tcltk-includes="/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Headers /
Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Headers /Library/Frameworks/
Tk.framework/PrivateHeaders" --with-tcltk-libs=/usr/local/lib

A framework TclTk option is in the works for GRASS configure.

TESTING NEEDED: Try a windows openGL configuration.  Try on Intel Mac
with ATI graphics.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro