[GRASS-dev] Mac OS X frameworks for support libraries

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Jul 29 12:43:24 EDT 2006

On Jul 28, 2006, at 5:06 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> William,
>
> I'll wait for your next beta to try it. I and many others would
> like to exit
> both gism and grass together, but this is more complicated than it
> seems. No
> one has figured it out yet. The easiest way would be to start gism
> then
> grass, rather than grass then gism. But this is another issue.
>
> Normally exiting grass kills wish, and hence gism. But gism could keep
> running if started within grass (it needs grass environmental
> variables to
> get going).

Hm, tried it again with latest snapshot.  GRASS.app starts GRASS in
Terminal, and starts GUI in X11 Wish.  Quit GRASS in Terminal and GUI
stays running in X11 Wish.  Any attempt to do stuff in GUI then gives
Location not set error.

I looked at process ownership - Wish starts out with the GRASS shell
as the parent.  After quitting GRASS with the Wish GUI still running,
Wish now has launchd (process 1) as the parent.  Happens with both
X11 Wish and Aqua Wish.  GRASS doesn't seem to be killing Wish, just
letting it go on with its life.  hehe, some parenting and animal
behaviours come to mind...

> In Lorenzo's app, I've successfully started gism in TclTk aqua and
> used the
> bash terminal. It all works without x11--except of course v.digit,
> nviz, and
> a couple other modules.

I've found an odd problem.  First, with X11 Wish (don't set
GRASS_WISH or GRASS_TCLSH in .bash_profile), start GRASS.app.  GUI
starts in X11.  Select mapset and start NVIZ from GUI.  All OK - NVIZ
works normally and starts directly in NVIZ with no rasters or vectors
selected.  Quit everything.

Change GRASS_WISH and GRASS_TCLSH to Aqua version in /usr/local/bin.
Start GRASS.app, GUI opens in Aqua Wish.  Select mapset and start
NVIZ.  NVIZ GUI startup dialog shows to select initial data.  Select
something and Run.  NVIZ progress shows, then disappears.  No
display.  NVIZ has a crashlog with something completely different
from any previous crashes - it's crashing in G__open_cell_old.

BUT, while still in the Aqua Wish GUI, if I start NVIZ from the
Terminal, it works.

So, now NVIZ doesn't work from the Aqua GUI.  But otherwise works
normally.

Haven't tried Aqua NVIZ again, but thanks to Amilcar Challu, I've
verified that NVIZ Aqua doesn't work on Intel Macs at all - it's not
the graphics card difference.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy