[GRASS-dev] [bug #4726] (grass) g.mapset: MAPSET parameter should default to PERMANENT

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 26 00:39:17 EDT 2006

> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=4726
>
> Subject: g.mapset: MAPSET parameter should default to PERMANENT
..
> For faster switching between Locations, g.mapset should include a
> default of "PERMANENT" for the mapset parameter. Given that every
> Location must have at least this mapset, I think PERMANENT would make
> a reasonable default so this parameter needn't be completed every time
> (if the user intends to switch to PERMANENT). Most of my Grass
> Locations only have one mapset, so typing this in for every switch
> gets tedious.

I don't think it should have a default value -- all calls to this module
should be explicit. Valuable maps are kept in PERMANENT and it could be
dangerous to dump users in there by default. Similar argument to not
running user code as root. If you use the same mapset names in different
locations then this isn't a problem? (e.g. MAPSET=$USER)

While "no known bugs", I don't think using this module to switch
locations (or gisdbase) should be encouraged for everyday use. It's
better to restart GRASS. i.e. Init.sh checks, cleanup, command history,
etc, should all be used if possible -- reserve g.mapset for changing
mapsets and for scripting.

Hamish