[GRASS5] Re: [bug #4155] (grass) d.m will not display remotely

Kirk R. Wythers kwythers at umn.edu
Thu Mar 9 11:43:02 EST 2006

On Mar 8, 2006, at 10:05 PM, Glynn Clements via RT wrote:

> Request Tracker wrote:
>
>> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=4155
>> ----
>>
>> Subject: d.m will not display remotely
>>
>> Platform: Mac OSX
>> grass obtained from: CVS
>> grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
>> GRASS Version: 6.1.cvs
>>
>> d.m is no longer displaying when started remotely through ssh -X.
>> d.mon x0 seems ok, it fires up
>> the expected display window with the message:
>>
>> GRASS 6.1.cvs (minnesota_utm):~ > d.mon x0
>> using default visual which is TrueColor
>> ncolors: 16777216
>> Graphics driver [x0] started
>>
>> However, d.m or d.m & result in the following message:
>>
>> GRASS 6.1.cvs (minnesota_utm):~ > X Error of failed request:
>> BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
>>   Major opcode of failed request:  20 (X_GetProperty)
>>   Atom id in failed request:  0xb5
>>   Serial number of failed request:  11
>>   Current serial number in output stream:  11
>>
>> For what it is worth gis.m seems to behave in the same mannor:
>>
>> GRASS 6.1.cvs (minnesota_utm):~ > gis.m
>> X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
>>   Major opcode of failed request:  20 (X_GetProperty)
>>   Atom id in failed request:  0xb5
>>   Serial number of failed request:  11
>>   Current serial number in output stream:  11
>> GRASS 6.1.cvs (minnesota_utm):~ >
>
> I'm guessing that this is an issue with "wish". It's impossible to say
> any more than that based upon the above details; atom 0x5b (91) isn't
> predefined (only 1 through 68 are predefined).
>
> Can you run wish by itself (or any other Tcl/Tk programs) remotely?

I hate to have to sound this stupid but you can't hide from the truth...

I'm not sure what you mean by run wish. I tried the following:

truffula:/usr/include kwythers$ wish8.4
X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
   Major opcode of failed request:  18 (X_ChangeProperty)
   Atom id in failed request:  0xb5
   Serial number of failed request:  12

If that is what you meant, it looks to be the same error as d.m gave
from GRASS.

Also, can you suggest a simple tcltk program to try remotely (an
equivalent to xclock)?