[GRASS-dev] spam in bug tracker

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 1 00:47:32 EDT 2006

Glynn Clements wrote:

> > I do not think this is feasabl; humans cannot beat robots that fill
> > out  webforms.
>
> Can we add a captcha to the form? This would only be required for
> guest users.

An easy implementation I've seen was a simple auto-generated web page
that asked a randomly generated simple math question in english. e.g.
"What's [nine] [minus] [four]?" _________ [Submit]

We're not Hotmail or Yahoo! Mail, so I doubt we have to bother with
"spot the word in the noise" tricks. Beating a custom app from
relatively small projects like ours just isn't worth the spammer's
time (by definition they're trying to take the lazy route to success).

Hamish