[GRASS-dev] spam in bug tracker

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Oct 2 04:16:52 EDT 2006

On Sunday 01 October 2006 06:47, Hamish wrote:
> Glynn Clements wrote:
> > Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > > I do not think this is feasable; humans cannot beat robots that fill
> > > out  webforms.
> >
> > Can we add a captcha to the form? This would only be required for
> > guest users.

Sure, we can. This would need to be our own implementation
as you already found out. Do not underestimate this as it is a source
for new problems.

> An easy implementation I've seen was a simple auto-generated web page
> that asked a randomly generated simple math question in english. e.g.
> "What's [nine] [minus] [four]?" _________ [Submit]
>
> We're not Hotmail or Yahoo! Mail, so I doubt we have to bother with
> "spot the word in the noise" tricks. Beating a custom app from
> relatively small projects like ours just isn't worth the spammer's
> time (by definition they're trying to take the lazy route to success).

I agree.
If you want to start coding this one,
I suggest to take the current gforge code and add it (www.gforge.org).

Bernhard

--
Managing Director - Owner, www.intevation.net       (Free Software Company)
Germany Coordinator, fsfeurope.org       (Non-Profit Org for Free Software)