[GRASS-dev] [bug #5195] (grass) ps.map sets encoding to iso-8859-1

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 01:03:29 EDT 2006

> Request Tracker wrote:
> > this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=5195
> >
> > Subject: ps.map sets encoding to iso-8859-1
..
> > On line 92 of ps/ps.map/prolog.ps the encoding is set to
> > ISOLatin1Encoding.
> >
> > If I understand correctly (and some testing confirms this) this
> > means that the instructions file for ps.map has to be encoded in
> > iso-8859-1 (or similar) to work, i.e. to be able to print accented
> > characters. If you are in a UTF-8 environment, ps.map creates a ps
> > file which doesn't show correct accented characters be it in iso or
> > in utf.
> >
> > Is there any reason why ps.map hardcodes the encoding ? Is it
> > possible to automatically use the users encoding ?

FWIW, if all you want is accents, ps.map should be able to pass through
the standard ascii extended chars.  e.g. I use the (c), ^2, degree
symbols a lot. gnome-terminal doesn't like them, but they are fine
passed from an input file. Alternately direct insertion using rxvt+vi on
the output PostScript file can get the job done. If you try this & have
many to do, I suggest leaving some breadcrumbs for the search&replace to
find.

Hamish