[GRASS-dev] r.flow and G_message

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Oct 19 20:20:11 EDT 2006

Brad Douglas wrote:

> I warned the list about this.
>
> Here are the options:

> - Rewrite the code so they are properly formatted with G_message(), etc.

> - Add another function simiar to G_message() that does not automatically
> append '\n' (this has already been shot down).

I prefer #2.

#1 results in yet another module which needs to be individually
modified whenever we change the conventions relating to how modules
communicate with their "user" (which may be either a human or a
program).

#3 isn't much use if stdout/stderr refer to a pipe which is being read
a line at a time (fgets() etc) from e.g. gis.m.

The approach currently used by r.flow is totally oriented towards a
terminal, and is something we should be moving away from, IMHO.