[GRASS-dev] g.proj and datum information (and gis.m)

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Oct 20 20:08:33 EDT 2006

Hello,

I have an issue with g.proj -c and datum information.

Procedure to reproduce:

GRASS 6.3.cvs (spearfish60):~ > v.out.ogr input=landuse at PERMANENT
type=area dsn=/home/mlennert olayer=landuse layer=1 format=ESRI_Shapefile

GRASS 6.3.cvs (spearfish60):~ > g.proj -c location=test georef=landuse.shp
Trying to open with GDAL...ERROR 4: `landuse.shp' not recognised as a
supported file format.

Trying to open with OGR......succeeded.
A datum name nad27 (North_American_Datum_1927) was specified without
transformation parameters.

Now select Datum Transformation Parameters
Please think carefully about the area covered by your data
and the accuracy you require before making your selection.

Enter 'list' to see the list of available Parameter sets
Enter the corresponding number, or <RETURN> to cancel request

Several issues with this:

- Is this datum information really necessary ?

- gis.m reproduces the above message and datum choice prompt in the
output window, but the user can't do anything about it.

- v.in.ogr with location= does not ask for datum information. In my eyes
'g.proj -c' and 'v.in.ogr location=' should be consistent in their
behaviour. Or is there a reason for the contrary ?

Moritz