[GRASS-dev] ogsf fails to build

Joel Pitt joel.pitt at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 06:03:04 EDT 2006

Hi all,

Trying to compile latest CVS update I get the following error when
trying to compile the ogsf library:

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/libavcodec.a(utils.o): relocation R_X86_64_32
against `first_avcodec' can not be used when making a shared object;
recompile with -fPIC
/usr/lib/libavcodec.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [/home/joel/src/grass6/dist.x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/libgrass_ogsf.6.3.cvs.so]
Error 1

As the error probably implies I used "--enable-64bit" when running configure.
Running 64 bit version of Ubuntu dapper and compiling with gcc-3.4.
I've got the latest libavcodec-dev package installed.

I tried adding the -fPIC option to the EXTRA_CFLAGS variable in the
Makefile but didn't seem to make any difference with a "make clean"
followed by "make".

If I can provide any further info that might be relevent then let me know.

Thanks

--
-Joel

"Wish not to seem, but to be, the best."
                -- Aeschylus