[GRASS-dev] Re: [bug #5218] (grass) wingrass: creating new location from startup screen with projection values fails

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Oct 24 03:49:12 EDT 2006

On Thu, October 19, 2006 14:45, Glynn Clements wrote:
>> discussion
>> compile
>> >
>> > But there is a terminal, but it fails before getting to the screen
>> where you
>> > define the location extension. So must be something about how this
>> screen is
>> > constructed.
>> >
>> > If I do not use Huidae's grass.bat (which actually launches cmd.exe
as
>> > terminal), but I launch grass from a Msys teminal (after setting path
>> > include postgresql/bin and GRASS_WISH=wish84), and I then try to
>> launch the
>> > location creation with projection values, it fails immediately, with
>> the
>> > following error:
>> >
>> > Cleaning up temporary files.....
>> > Starting GRASS ...
>> > 'clear' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
>> > ou externe, un programme ex?cutable ou un fichier de commandes. LINES value must be >= 2 and <= -9808: got 1
>> > initscr(): LINES=1 COLS=1: too small.
>> Programs compiled with the pdcurses library do not work with the MSys terminal because of the above-mentioned problem.  That's why I used cmd.exe for grass.bat.  If NO modules called from gis.m use the curses library, rxvt.exe (MSys terminal) would be a better option because it opens std* channels extensively used in TclTk codes.
>> I cannot decide which one is better between cmd.exe and rxvt.exe :-(. Any idea?
> cmd.exe is a shell (aka command interpreter), akin to bash or csh. rxvt is a terminal emulator, akin to the Windows console. You can run cmd.exe in rxvt, and you can run bash in the Windows console.
> I don't see any real benefit to using rxvt on Windows NT/2K/XP. On 95/98/ME, the "DOS box" was somewhat limited (e.g. no scrollback, restrictions on window size, 8086-compatibility environment, etc), so there were some advantages to using rxvt there.

So, IIUC, this should work with cmd.exe which allows pdcurses code, but
it doesn't and fails with:

> The procedure crashes after entering
> the one-line description of the new location with an error message: "the syntax of the command is not correct. LOCATION (test) NOT created"
(translated
> from French).

So, if this is not a pdcurses issue, what could be the problem ?

Also, if you look at bug 5216, you can see that if I use the msys
terminal directly, I can create a new location based on a georeferenced
file, but I cannot using cmd.exe via grass.bat. What would explain this ?

Moritz