[GRASS-dev] Re: [bug #5218] (grass) wingrass: creating new location from startup screen with projection values fails

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Oct 26 05:11:33 EDT 2006

Glynn Clements wrote:
> Moritz Lennert wrote:
>
>>> Fortunately, this bug shoud be quite simple to fix: use the mkdir()
>>> function rather than using system() to run the mkdir command. Could
>>> someone try the attached patch?
>> I am more than willing to do more extensive testing and also to work on
>> some of the system calls you mention, but I what do I need for native
>> compilation ? Or cross-compilation on debian for windows (never compiled
>> anything on windows in my life ;-) ) ?
>
> Native compilation is probably easier.
>
> For this, you need MinGW and MSys, including gcc, g++, binutils, flex,
> bison, make, and pdcurses, all from:
>
> http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml
>
> You also need this version of the XDR library:
>
> http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/BuildingWindowsBinaryOnLinux?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=xdr-4.0-mingw2.tar.gz
>
> The above is a stripped-down version of the Sun RPC library, which
> only includes the XDR [de]serialisation code, with the networking code
> removed.
>
> You will first need to build and install zlib, PNG, PROJ, GDAL and the
> above XDR library. Then, building GRASS is similar to building it on
> Linux, except that you need to disable most of the optional features
> (including the use of shared libraries).

Thanks for the clear instructions.

> Aside: it might encourage more people to work on the Windows version
> if the GRASS site contained binary versions of the necessary
> libraries. Having to build XDR, PROJ, GDAL, zlib, PNG, Tcl/Tk and
> possibly other stuff from source before you can start to compile GRASS
> is a major nuisance.

What about the packages installed by Huidae's installer:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/g/gn/gnuwin32

(Huidae's inst_grass.bat downloads: libiconv-1.9.2-1 libpng-1.2.8
jpeg-6b-4 tiff-3.8.2-1 file-4.16-1 freetype-2.1.10 pdcurses-2.6
readline-5.0 gettext-0.14.4 zlib-1.2.3 zip-2.31)

Would I need the *-lib packages for compilation ?

For Tcl/Tk Huidae recommends, i.e.:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/tcltk-8.4.1-1.exe?download

And Huidae provides:

fftw-2.1.5-1 gdal-1.3.2-1 geos-2.2.3-1 proj-4.4.9-1 sqlite-3.3.6-1
xdr-4.0-1

from http://geni.ath.cx/grass/

Isn't that enough ?

Moritz