[GRASS-dev] Re: [bug #5218] (grass) wingrass: creating new location from startup screen with projection values fails

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Oct 26 15:06:41 EDT 2006

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> > Aside: it might encourage more people to work on the Windows version
> > if the GRASS site contained binary versions of the necessary
> > libraries. Having to build XDR, PROJ, GDAL, zlib, PNG, Tcl/Tk and
> > possibly other stuff from source before you can start to compile GRASS
> > is a major nuisance.
>
> What about the packages installed by Huidae's installer:
>
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/g/gn/gnuwin32
>
> (Huidae's inst_grass.bat downloads: libiconv-1.9.2-1 libpng-1.2.8
> jpeg-6b-4 tiff-3.8.2-1 file-4.16-1 freetype-2.1.10 pdcurses-2.6
> readline-5.0 gettext-0.14.4 zlib-1.2.3 zip-2.31)

Some of those should be optional, although most of them are useful (I
don't know about file and zip, though). If that version of zlib is
usable, we can use that rather than our own package.

> Would I need the *-lib packages for compilation ?

Maybe. You need the header files for compilation, whereas you only
need DLLs for pre-compiled applications. If the packages are split,
then you will need both parts.

> For Tcl/Tk Huidae recommends, i.e.:
>
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/tcltk-8.4.1-1.exe?download

Is that actually a *native* version, or does it include MinGW-isms?

> And Huidae provides:
>
> fftw-2.1.5-1 gdal-1.3.2-1 geos-2.2.3-1 proj-4.4.9-1 sqlite-3.3.6-1
> xdr-4.0-1
>
> from http://geni.ath.cx/grass/
>
> Isn't that enough ?

If he provides usable packages (compiled libraries and headers), then
we should use those. However, I get a "forbidden" error for the above
URL, and I couldn't find individual packages from the main page.