[GRASS-dev] d.m/d.gis mysteries..

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Sat Oct 28 09:13:04 EDT 2006

Hamish wrote:
>> Michael Barton wrote:
>>> I'd be in favor of dropping d.m from 6.3.
>
> Maciej Sieczka wrote:
>> And I wouldn't. There are continous problems with region handling in
>> gis.m that make me use d.m still for production. If d.m is removed
>> from 6.3 I would use 6.2 often, which would make me less up to date
>> with 6.3 developement and less capable of reporting bugs/fixing minor
>> problems.
>
> When 6.2.0 is released, with gis.m as default, we are tacitly declaring
> it "ready for production". If you feel there are still significant
> region handling problems with 6.2.0rc3, please supply details.

Take the 'slope' raster map from spearfish (for example). Zoom in until
you see ~ 8 or 6 cells. You will see:

1. Cell's shape is distorted (not square).

2. The number of rows and cols declared in the status bar in the bottom
of the Map Display window doens't reflect what is actually displayed.

3. Now set current WIND to match the Map Display. Display the same
raster in X monitor - what you see in X monitor and gis.m's Map Display
window is different. Moreover, g.region -p reports a different number
of rows and cols than the Map Display's status bar, too.

Zooming in a lot is only needed to make the problem clearly visible.
The problem remains no matter what is the actual zoom level, if take a
 carefull look.

Maciek