[GRASS-dev] GRASS/KerGIS fonts: hershey revival

Māris Nartišs maris.gis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 03:49:20 EST 2006

Hi,

it's not my area (I'm troll), but if I understand correctly - You are refering
to diferent symbols drawn on map (display).
Using fonts to show various symbols is easyest and common used trick (look ar
ArcView), but it has drawbacks - user has to create new font to get own
symbols for displaying and that's not good. In ArcView I also have run into
different problems coming from font usage as symbol.
Having all code already in GRASS is good, but I would better see as GRASS 7
wish SVG vector symbol support. QGIS already to that way - You can draw image
in any vector image manipulation soft (Inkscape, CorelDraw etc.) and just
show in right place. Size, rotation is not a problem.
Pros: Scalable ;) , color, easy to add own symbols.
Cons: adds another dependency for GRASS.

Just my 0.02,
Maris.