[GRASS-dev] GRASS/KerGIS fonts: hershey revival

tlaronde at polynum.com tlaronde at polynum.com
Tue Oct 31 05:45:23 EST 2006

Hello,

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 10:49:20AM +0200, M?ris Narti?s wrote:
> Using fonts to show various symbols is easyest and common used trick (look ar
> ArcView), but it has drawbacks - user has to create new font to get own
> symbols for displaying and that's not good. In ArcView I also have run into
> different problems coming from font usage as symbol.
> Having all code already in GRASS is good, but I would better see as GRASS 7
> wish SVG vector symbol support. QGIS already to that way - You can draw image
> in any vector image manipulation soft (Inkscape, CorelDraw etc.) and just
> show in right place. Size, rotation is not a problem.
> Pros: Scalable ;) , color, easy to add own symbols.
> Cons: adds another dependency for GRASS.

But you have already programs in CERL GRASS based GIS to draw "icons"
(legacy and postscript). They can just be changed to generate symbols
in the description format used for the fonts---or, as I'm doing at the
moment, generate them with v.in.* (here v.in.dxf); could have v.in.svg
(v.in.metapost... since I do use it too), etc.

Cheers,
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde +AT+ polynum +dot+ com>
                 http://www.kergis.com/