[GRASS-dev] v.bspline -> v.surf.bspline ?

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Sep 4 05:33:57 EDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 06:26:52PM +1200, Hamish wrote:

> it uses vector/lidar/lidarlib/, so you might have to move
> vector/lidar/lidarlib/ to lib/lidar/ as well. I think moving v.bspline
> without moving lidarlib/ is a mistake.

If so, we have to do the same also with SIMWE and others.
I am not really sure if we want to do that. lidarlib/ seems
to apply only to vector/lidar/*. If there are functions
of wider interest, we could simply move it to gmathlib or
other appropriate libs.

> > > I have written twice to the author(s) but didn't receive a
> > > response on this issue.
> > > It is now VERY urgent since we have already done 6.2.0.beta2.
> > >
> > > Or we decide to keep the name in 6.2 and change it in 6.3.
> > >
> > > Or we just change it without listening to the author(s).
>
> note this is a port from GRASS 5. The according to the help page the
> original authors are Maria Antonia Brovelli, Massimiliano Cannata,
> Ulisse Longoni, and Mirko Reguzzoni. That module was
> grass/src.contrib/POLIMICO/s.bspline.reg/

Yes, I am aware of that (I also added src.contrib/POLIMICO/* in
those days). But Roberto answered recently.

[Makefile change]

> It is easy to change the name later: make v.bspline a symlink for
> backwards compatibility*, but much better to do now it before
> release IMO.

Yes.

> [*] see d.paint.labels -> d.labels rename; CVS dir structure unchanged
>

> lidarlib/PolimiFunct.h defines structs "Point" and "element". I suggest
> these be changed to something less likely to collide with something else.
> Also PolimiFunct.h re-#defines TRUE, FALSE, after #including gis.h.

I hope that Roberto is listening...

> > > However, moding code around in CVS isn't nice, so I don't
> > > know if it must be really moved out of vector/lidar/.
>
> This depends on what happens to lidarlib/ I think.
> We do have raster/simwe/ and raster/wildfire/ without complaint.

Right - see my comments above.

> my vote is to rename it in the Makefile now and consider reverting it
> if the authors object. We can move it later in CVS if wanted without
> affecting anything as far as the user.

Sounds like a plan :-)

> btw, it's missing from the TclTk menu, so are the other v.lidar.*.

Yes.

Markus