[GRASS-dev] d.vect.thematic problem

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Sep 11 17:15:55 EDT 2006

d.vect.thematic works for me.  If I change that awk check to
something that doesn't exist, I get the expected 'awk required'
error.  No syntax error.

And, awk itself from the GRASS Terminal works for me.  What's your
PATH in GRASS at the time you want to run d.vect.thematic?  Even
without the user adding anything to the PATH in their bash startup, /
usr/bin should be in their PATH.

On Sep 11, 2006, at 3:41 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> Earlier today, I reported that d.vect.thematic is not running on my
> Mac, returning the error
>
> csh: if: Expression Syntax.
> d.vect.thematic: awk required, please install awk or gawk first
>

> The code in d.vect.thematic that is causing this is the following...
>
> #### check if we have awk
> if [ ! -x "`which awk`" ] ; then
>     echo "$PROG: awk required, please install awk or gawk first" 2>&1
>     exit 1
> fi
>
> If I run...
>
> >>which awk
>
> ...from the a plain vanilla bash Terminal.app window, it returns ...
>
> /usr/bin/awk
>
> But if I run it from the GRASS Terminal.app window, it returns...
>
> csh: if: Expression Syntax.
>
> This is with William Kyngesburye’s binaries of 2 Sept. 2006. Any
> idea what’s wrong?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.