[GRASS-dev] [bug #5161] v.digit: no toolbox if Grass 6.3 built with tcl/tk 8.3

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 29 06:33:59 EDT 2006

Michael Barton wrote:
> I believe that other things will break if you try to run gism with
> TclTk 8.3. I know that the georectifier uses a labelframe, and I'm
> pretty sure that there are other items scattered here and there. Like
> I noted before, 8.4 has been out for many years, is widely available,
> and is near to being replaced by 8.5. So I only have lukewarm concern
> for things that don't run in 8.3. Life is too short and the GRASS team
> salaries aren't all that great ;-). If you want to track them down and
> find an old way to achieve this, I guess that's OK. But I'm not sure
> it's worth it.

For the sake of 1 lousy function call in v.digit, we should figure out a
way to keep GRASS compatible with TclTk 8.3. If a solution doesn't avail
itself soon I will revert the latest v.digit changes in the 6.2 branch
to make it so, even though I think your updates are really nice.

I didn't get an answer: will sourcing lib/external/bwidget/labelframe.tcl
solve the problem?

WRT gis.m, that's your baby & I'm not going to tell you what to do with
it (there's still d.m), but I will point out that many people are still
using 8.3 (as seen from recent bug reports) and we should go to some
active length to stay compatible with it. Not just when convenient, but
at some reasonable trouble.

There's some mantra which goes something like "just because it doesn't
affect me, doesn't mean it won't cause a world of trouble for someone
else."  see also C99 vs. ANSI C vs. POSIX discussions.

best,
Hamish

ps - actually, it doesn't look bad at all:

grass63$ grep -riI labelframe * | cut -f1 -d: | sort | uniq
lib/external/bwidget/CHANGES.txt
lib/external/bwidget/CVS/Entries
lib/external/bwidget/README
lib/external/bwidget/combobox.tcl
lib/external/bwidget/font.tcl
lib/external/bwidget/labelentry.tcl
lib/external/bwidget/labelframe.tcl
lib/external/bwidget/pkgIndex.tcl
lib/external/bwidget/spinbox.tcl
lib/gtcltk/options.tcl
vector/v.digit/toolbox.tcl
visualization/nviz/src/tkInt8.4.9.h
visualization/nviz/src/tkInt8.4.h

bwidget stuff is all 4 years old and lib/gtcltk/options.tcl is a false
postive.