[GRASS-dev] discussion: replacing ps.map

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Apr 4 06:15:25 EDT 2007

Glynn Clements wrote:

> > > The original unscaled raster function R_RGB_raster() is only used by
> > > i.point, i.vpoints and i.class. They could be changed to use the
> > > scaled raster functions with 1:1 scaling, although I'm not sure that I
> > > understand them well enough to test any changes, and I'm not sure if
> > > it's worth the effort (AFAIK, they should all be obsolete soon).
> >
> > I've changed them to use the scaled raster functions (D_draw_d_raster
> > rather than D_d_raster). i.points seems to work okay (although I'm not
> > all that familiar with it), and the other two have almost identical
> > code. Even so, I'd appreciate it if someone could test these changes.
>
> Also changed: photo.2target and photo.2image.

Having eliminated all use of the unscaled raster operations, I've
removed them from the drivers, and moved the scaled raster operations
into the drivers. This should all be transparent to the user but, like
any change to the driver protocol, the changes are relatively
invasive, so there's always the possibility of bugs creeping in.

Also, direct rendering can now produce PostScript as an alternative to
PNG or PPM files. The GRASS_RENDER_IMMEDIATE environment variable has
been extended to accept values of PNG (generate PNG or PPM output,
equivalent to GRASS_RENDER_IMMEDIATE=TRUE) and PS (generate PostScript
output).