[GRASS-dev] return of the OSX xterm question

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Apr 9 13:09:32 EDT 2007

On Apr 9, 2007, at 10:18 AM, Glynn Clements wrote:

>> But mainly, I can't understand how the xterm compatibility part would
>> work: to be able to handle the xterm flags, it has to be able to run
>> from the CLI, but when run from the CLI an application executable
>> opens a completely new instance of the whole application, not a new
>> window (exactly the same problem as the browser issue I'm working
>> on).
>
> And what's the problem with that?
>
> I can see why this might be a problem for a browser; I don't see why
> it's a problem for a terminal.

It's a general OSX problem/quirk when running any .app application
from the CLI.  If the application is already running, you don't get a
new window in the application (or whatever the default action is,
depending on what is passed to it).  New instances of whole
applications is not the way to run OSX apps.

Instead, you must tell the system to open a file with a particular
application (the 'open' CLI command) so the system can take care of
deciding whether the application is already running.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"History is an illusion caused by the passage of time, and time is an
illusion caused by the passage of history."

- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy