[GRASS-dev] Google Summer Of Code Project

Daniel Calvelo dca.gis at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 13:38:01 EDT 2007

Hi Maximilian, welcome aboard!

On 4/17/07, maximilian maldacker <mmaldacker at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Should the visibility graph construction algorithm
> be added to the Directed Graph Library?

Eventually, but it should be coded as an independent library anyway,
agnostic of both GRASS internal data representation details and any
output code. Then you would go layer by layer to GRASS interfaces of
it, and then user interface (e.g. the module's parameters and options)
and then, eventually, some display features if need be.

> What is the best way to test my code? Should I keep a fresh copy of GRASS on
> my computer, modify/create files, compile everything and test it using the
> spearfish example? Or is there another way?

That is roughly what everybody does who is not touching/refactoring
internals. Please also consider using Soeren Gebbert's test suite
(http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/grass/GRASS_TestSuite/ ;
other links? wiki?), possibly from the start to help you fix
representations, border cases, scalability and so on.

> Thank you for your help and I'm looking forward to help develop GRASS.

We look forward to seeing you around for longer than the summer.

Daniel.

--
-- Daniel Calvelo Aros