[GRASS-dev] numeric-numpy-scipy for graphs?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Apr 23 00:19:26 EDT 2007

Michael Barton wrote:

> We need to create a graph/plot for at least 2 functions in the wxgrass
> GUI‹profile plotting and histogramming. I did the TclTk profile module with
> just standard graphic calls. However, wxPython has a very nice plot
> control:PyPlot. It has lots of nice options, including ways to save the plot
> easily.

Can you provide a URL; the first thing that comes up for "PyPlot" on
Google uses Python/Tk for the interface and gnuplot for the output:

http://www.wadsworth.org/spider_doc/spider/docs/spire/guitools/pyplot.html

The remainder of the first couple of pages are posts to mailing lists.

> BUT, it requires numeric or numarray ‹ which have been superceded by numpy
> or scipy. These are as available the main python package and provide a rich
> scientific computing library for Python and wxPython. It looks like these
> are available for all platforms either as binary or source files. However,
> it would be another dependency.

AFAICT, both NumPy and SciPy deal are primarily numerical packages; I
can't see anything about graphics.