[GRASS-dev] numeric-numpy-scipy for graphs?

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 24 01:50:11 EDT 2007

Michael Barton wrote:
> The one complication is changing window size. The GRASS command would
> need to be rerun and the graphic rendered. With the new PS driver, we
> might not be stuck with a rasterized version.

just to throw something else out there: What if we had a SVG driver?
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svg

very rough idea:
If window bounds are the same, maybe it is easier to render raster maps
in the PNG driver and vector maps & decorations in the SVG driver before
combining with g.pnmcomp?

> If writing C code for simple native GRASS plotting is as
> straightforward as Glynn suggests, it might be worth a look.

If following that path, prototype what you want to do with d.graph
first. Translating from that into C is pretty easy.

> d.histogram already can render to a graphics file that can be
> displayed in a canvas. An equivalent (non-interactive) d.profile does
> not exist (perhaps a flag added to r.profile?)

I don't fully understand your idea, but if you are getting at what I
think you are getting at, I'm a bit doubtful that it should be in
r.profile. (better use a wrapper script that calls r.profile)

IMO GRASS 5 d.profile and d.histogram are too ugly to live. I welcome
GUI replacements for them both.

Hamish