[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASSGUI] another idea for font setting

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Apr 24 10:18:59 EDT 2007

This should be able to handle subfolders.  While the system folders
are normally flat, when 3rd-party font activation tools are used,
it's common to organize extra fonts into subfolders.

On the down side of letting the user specify font folders external to
the system folders, there can be multiple versions of a font, though
only one may be active at a time.  It could get confusing choosing a
font.

On Apr 24, 2007, at 12:23 AM, Michael Barton wrote:

> How about a GRASS_FONTPATH variable set in init.sh (or an
> environmental variable if that’s better). It could work like some
> of the other such path variables.
>
> Check to see if it’s already set (e.g., in .grassrc6 or .profile).
> If it’s not already set, try some default settings: /Library/Fonts
> for Darwin systems, a ‘normal’ linux font place, a ‘normal’ windows
> font place.
>
> A font setting dialog could get this path from the variable and
> insert it into a font path browse control. For many people, they
> would not need to do anything but pick from the list of fonts in
> that directory. But the control would still allow a user to browse
> for another locality if their fonts were in a different place. This
> gives some degree of convenience for the many people who have fonts
> in a standard location for their platform and provides 2 ways to
> deal with those who don’t—in a configuration file (for GRASS or
> shell) or by browsing to the font location.
>
> Trying to find a way to make this a bit easier for many, while
> dealing with the considerable variability across systems.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin