[GRASS-dev] Re: winGRASS

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Tue Feb 20 12:05:04 EST 2007

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> On Wed, February 14, 2007 20:20, Glynn Clements wrote:
>>
>> Moritz Lennert wrote:
>>
>>> Concerning the wrong setting for GISRC, this seems to come from the
>>> following line in etc/Init.bat:
>>>
>>> set WINGISRC=%HOME%\.grassrc6
>>>
>>> 'echo %HOME%' just results in %HOME%. Is HOME a valid Win env variable
>>
>> No, in the sense that Windows doesn't set it by default. HOME should
>> probably be set to %USERPROFILE% if it isn't already set.
>
> Yes, this works.
>
> Paul, do you want me to integrate such things directly in CVS, or do you
> prefer doing it yourself ?

Yes, please go ahead if you think it is an improvement. That issue
specifically (setting the HTML viewer for help) I wasn't very happy with
the way I'd temporarily set it anyway. Another idea I had was that we
could have an alternative Windows batch file version of g.manual. It's an
important module in its own way - don't want users to have to install a
bash shell interpreter just to launch their web browser. There could even
be a general mechanism for scripts that if there is a .bat version that is
installed, otherwise the wrapper to call the shell interpreter is
installed.

Paul